Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 08 - Granada - Lorca Park and Science Museum

This morning I spent a while strolling through Park Federico García Lorca. It's a large park in the more modern park of Granada south west of the city center. 


I happened across these old men playing one of my favorite pastimes, Bocce. They play the game a little different then the one we play at home, but the basics are the same.  


Nice toss! 











This park was created in memory of the Spanish poet Federico García Lorca. This house is Huerta de San Vicente where Lorca, Lorca's summer home in Granada where he also wrote many of his works. I need to give a big thanks to Meggie Morris for introducing me to him and his work. I've only just started to learn about him but intend to keep discovering more. 


I had the intent today of visiting his house, but as I have done so many times since I've arrived in Spain I showed up just as the afternoon siesta was beginning. I'll try back tomorrow. 


So, instead I decided to walk down south towards the Science Museum. Rio Genil runs through the center of town. You can see here that they have constructed a dam that holds back the water to raise the level up closer to the streets. It gives the river a nicer full look. 


Parque de las Ciencias is a huge science museum and park. 





The temporary exhibition was a look at whether the Tyrantosaurus Rex was a predator a scavenger. 


One exhibit focused on the scientific contributions for the oriental world to the west. Here is an astrolabe, a astronomical device used for navigation and astrological readings. I've always loved these and was very pleased to so many of them in the exhibit. I would really like to try and find a replica of one of these to purchase while I'm here. 


Many more astrolabes. 


In Spanish mariposa means butterfly. Some words sounds so much better in other languages and I think this is one of them. They has a house full of mariposas. 


Looking down on the science park from a tower in the park. 


I took this picture through one of those telescopes on top of the tower. This is the Alcazaba, or fortress, of the Alhambra which I will be visiting on Monday. 


Those are some huge ants!




No comments:

Post a Comment